OF MR. T. BUTT MILLER.
a sad coincidence, there comes almost simultaneously with the
announcement of Earl Bathurst's contemplated resignation the
announcement of the lamented death of Mr. T. Butt Miller, for many years
the able and popular Master of the Cricklade side of the V.W.H. country,
.between whom and Lord Bathurst there always subsisted close ties of
personal regard and friendship that tended to make the relations between
the two Hunts in the highest degree pleasant and harmonious at a time
when, just after the division of the country, the situation required
careful and delicate handling in the interests of the sport of the
news of Mr. Miller's death, which took place at 47, Belgrave-square,
London, on Wednesday night, after a long illness, was received at
Cricklade, and indeed throughout the V.W.H. country, with profound
regret. He had just completed his 55th year. After taking his degree he
hunted with Lord Fitzhardinge's and the Duke of Beaufort's Hounds in his
native county till, on the resignation of the veteran Mr. Robert
Arkwright and Mr. Macan, he became Master of the Oakley Hounds. He
showed fine sport in Bedfordshire for three seasons, 1885-1888, carrying
the horn himself twice a week, or even more, for Tom Whitemore, the
well-known Oakley huntsman, was, though far from the end of his career,
prevented from carrying out his duties pretty frequently through
accidents and other causes. While Mr. Butt Miller was with the Oakley,
the old V.W.H. country was divided, and in 1888 the eastern or Cricklade
side became vacant through the retirement of the late Mr. C. A. R. Hoare.
Here was a chance for Mr. Miller to hunt a first rate country near his
home, and he accepted the offer with alacrity. For twenty seasons he
showed splendid sport in this Cricklade country, hunting both packs
himself, but from 1908 to1910, when be finally retired, failing health
compelled him to engage a professional. A fine judge of horse and hound,
Mr. Miller did not confine his attention to foxhunting ; for many years
he had a few horses in training at Newmarket, and, though he never won a
race of any great importance, his was a familiar figure at the best
meetings. Later in life he took up coursing and was a frequent nominator
to the Waterloo Cup.
just indicated, Mr. Miller came to Cricklade in 1888, and took up his
residence at Brook House, some years later becoming the owner of the
Manor House, he had it rebuilt and considerably enlarged, while he also
became the owner of a considerable amount of land adjoining it, making
it a compact estate. Although associated with many local matters, he was
of course best known as the Master of the Hounds, a position he held up
till 1910, when his health compelled him to retire, and he was succeeded
by Mr. W. F. Fuller. He was keenly interested in the pack, and spared no
pains or expense in improving it, his efforts being rewarded by
successes at Peterborough and a succession of capital seasons' sport. He
was a lover of good horses, and few kennels held a better lot of
hunters. He also kept a herd of Jersey cattle and with these, as well as
with his hunters, he was a frequent and successful exhibitor.
in the full enjoyment of vigorous health, he was often to be seen out
with Earl Bathurst's the Duke of Beaufort's, and the Old Berks Hunts in
the course of the week, in addition to three days with his own pack,
proving his keen love of hunting. Indeed, he was a real sportsman in
every sense of the word, his tastes extending to many forms of sport. He
was fond of athletics, and in later life he was, as already stated, well
known in the coursing world, gaining some valuable stakes with his
greyhounds, and it was announced only last week that he had returned his
nomination for the Waterloo Cup which was awarded to another owner.
Locally there was scarcely a movement that he was not in some way
associated with, and the many appeals for help to praiseworthy objects
found in him a willing and generous contributor. He was a J.P. for the
Cricklade Division, and had been the representative of the Cricklade
electoral district on the County Council, chairman of the Parish
Council, president of the Cricket Club, chairman of the Market
Committee, and was High Bailiff of the borough at the time of his death,
as also chairman of the Trustees of the Waylands Estate, the two offices
running jointly. He had also been chairman of the Horticultural Society,
of which he was a staunch supporter. He was a school manager and a
staunch churchman, and some years ago he presented a magnificent reading
desk to St Mary's Church. At Christmas time he did not forget the old
folks, who have no doubt, with many others, lost a real friend.
Thomas Butt Miller, born Dec. 2, 1859, was the eldest son of the
late George Miller, J.P., of Brentry, Gloucestershire (who died in
1881), by Mary, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Luce, of
Malmesbury. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, and
was a Justice of the Peace for Gloucestershire and Wilts. He married, in
1897, Cicely Laura, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Dudley Robert
Smith, J.P., of 47 Belgrave-square, who, with two sons and a daughter,
survives him, and with whom the deepest sympathy is felt in their
bereavement. Mr. Miller was for some years captain in the Prince of
Wales's Own Royal Regiment of Wiltshire Yeomanry. His younger brother is
Mr. Audley Miller, of Badminton, the well-known Wiltshire cricketer, who
a year or two ago succeeded Colonel Frank Henry as honorary secretary to
the Beaufort Hunt. His sisters are Mrs. Roper Tyler, of Tetbury ; Mrs.
David Lindsay, of Willesley ; and Mrs. Herbert Peel, of Coates. Some
twelve months ago Mr. Miller took Kingscote Park (the property of Mr.
Nigel Kingscote) with the intention of residing there, but owing to the
state of his health he only spent a very short time in his new home.
funeral takes place on Monday next at Eisey, after a service at St.
Sampson's Church, Cricklade, at 2.30.