CRICKLADE, ST. MARY
There were two parishes within the circuit of the
Saxon boundaries of Cricklade - St Sampson's (which you visited earlier)
and St Mary's.
St. Mary's was much the smaller of the two, covering
an area of about 120 acres extending North from the line of what is now
Gas Lane up to the Thames river, and East beyond the town boundary to
include the manor of Abingdon Court.
The history of the church remains little more than a
series of linked mysteries and we have to rely upon the findings and
observations of the diocesan architect C E Ponting in the 19th century,
and the historians Thomson and Taylor in this century, plus Radford and
Haslam, and most recently our own archaeologist Edmund Lee to provide a
Haslam suggests that when the town was laid out in
the tenth century, the parish of St. Mary's was set aside to serve as a
"ward". This would have been an open area that could be used
for the defences of the town, - in peacetime as a source of revenue from
rents, and in war as a space for the temporary accommodation of people
and livestock from the surrounding countryside.
Archaeological evidence suggests that about one
thousand years ago the Saxon defences of Cricklade were demolished. The
"ward" then became redundant and, in 1008AD, was granted by
the king to the abbey of Abingdon, near Oxford. The abbey may then have
built the earliest church on the site, although it is possible that
there was an even earlier Saxon chapel, perhaps dating back to the
foundations of the town in the tenth century .
Radford records the Excavations at Cricklade in the
1960s. The archaeological excavations on the line of the town walls
included a small trench adjacent to the north wall of St Mary's. This
excavation revealed the stone footings of the small north chapel which
now houses the organ. They were of differing construction and alignment
to the north aisle, suggesting that the chapel was earlier and may date
back to the establishment of the church on the site in the opening years
of the second millennium.
By the 13th century, we can be sure that a
more substantial building stood here, and from this date onwards we can
reconstruct a likely sequence for the development of the building based
on clues in stone, window and arch shapes, the bonding of walls etc.
The most comprehensive study of the architecture of
St Mary's was that undertaken by Thomson and Taylor in 1965/66.
The chancel arch of the church is Norman in date and
style. It is thought to be early 12th century -1120-50AD. We have to
exercise our imaginations to reconstruct the rest of the building.
Almost certainly it would have had a smaller chancel than the present
building, and the nave was probably only as wide as the central aisle.
The church would have been dark inside - glazed windows were a later
addition - and worshippers may have stood for the services.
The Norman church was expanded by the addition of a
square tower at the West end of the nave, and an aisle on the south
side. Then, some time in the 13th century a disaster seems to
have occurred which caused a complete rebuilding of the centre section.
Many features of the building date to this period. Restoration work in
the 19th century revealed burnt timbers built into a floor of
this date, and it is possible that these are re-used timbers left over
after a fire.
What emerges from the 13th century rebuild
is, in essence, the church as we see it today, with nave, north and
south aisles, chancel and tower. The north chapel was rebuilt in about
1450 and incorporated into the north wall of the chancel. The chancel
was widened and lengthened, extending out into the line of the high
street. Edmund Lee suggests that this enlargement reflected a change in
the style of worship at that time which required a larger chancel
perhaps to accommodate the choir? It does serve to illustrate that the
church had sufficient influence in the affairs of the town that it was
allowed to encroach on to the thoroughfare.
The building of crosses also reflects the importance
of the church in the 14th century .You may be familiar with
the cross in the churchyard, south of the chancel. It has a square top
with each of the four faces carved with scenes representing the
crucifixion, the assumption of the Virgin Mary , a bishop, and queen and
In the 15th century, the church was
further developed while retaining the same basic plan. The nave archades
are mid 15th century. Some of the existing windows can be
dated to this period on stylistic grounds, (the glass is later).
Cricklade Museum includes a stained glass panel dated 1558 and including
the arms of the Hungerford family, which is thought to have come from St
Mary's. The Museum also houses the chained bible from St Mary's
From the 17th century, the history of the
church starts to become clearer, and the individual members of the
community emerge from obscurity with the commencement of the parish
registers of baptisms, marriages and burials in 1683. We get some idea
of the size of the parish from Compton's census of 1676 which gives the
number of communicants as 133 and nonconformists 7.
The altar table is of oak with turned column
legs and inscribed with the initials of the churchwardens Zacariah Mills
and Thomas Betterton 1627- CW ZM TB.
The pulpit, of oak with archaded panelling, is
It is recorded that in 1553 St Mary's had three
bells. In 1779 three new bells were cast by Thomas Rudhall of
There was a fourth bell - a call bell - dated
1733 - inscribed "Come away make no delay" Sadly this is the
only bell to remain in St Mary's. The larger bells were taken down
because they made the tower unsafe. They were sold some years ago - one
found a good home in Cricklade, at St. Sampsons.
The brass chandelier is 18th
century. (1790) We still enjoy its occasional use - at Christmas.
The exterior of the church at the turn of the 19th
century would be recognisable today. It was recorded by John Buckler,
architect and medievalist, who was commissioned to paint all the
churches of Wiltshire. A print of his work on St Mary's is on display at
the back of the church. It is dated 1810. You will see that the bell
tower is shrouded with climbing vegetation, the churchyard is open to
the street and there is a curious lean-to structure at the junction of
the nave and chancel. This housed an external staircase of 1779/80 which
had replaced an earlier access to a rood loft.
The staircase led up to a gallery, known as the Priory
Gallery, which was built above the south aisle. Looking at the space
today it is difficult to see how it would have been possible for anyone
to stand up in the low roof space, it must .I have been very cramped.
In the main body of the church the seating was in box
pews, probably owned by different families. There is a floor plan drawn
in 1861, prior to the restoration, at the rear of the church. It gives
us a fascinating insight into the late 18th century
arrangement of the church. The focus of attention is on the reading desk
and pulpit, rather than the chancel - and, a line of posts running
across the nave at the back of church may have been supports for another
gallery .( or continuation of the Priory Gallery).
All was set to change - "Churchwardens'
gothic" was out "present improved taste" was in - to
quote the Wilts and Gloucester Standard of the time.
The Rev Hugh Allan, incumbent of St Mary's from 1834
till his death in 1882, together with an architect Mr Gilpin, a pupil of
the celebrated Pugin, drew up new plans for the church in 1862. The
interior of the church was completely altered from "a mass of
mouldering woodwork, and crumbling stone, of ricketty galleries and
irregular pews" to "the most finished specimen of what a
country church should be" to quote the Wilts and Gloucester
New pews, which survive today, were installed facing
the chancel. The galleries were removed together with the external
staircase, and the roof and porch replaced. The roof of the nave
is a plain one of three bays with trussed rafters and tie beams. The
rafters were enclosed before the restoration, the nail marks are clearly
visible. The dormer windows above the south aisle were also removed but
were reinstated in 1906 by popular request to provide more light.
Finally, a clock was added. The face is on the
exterior east gable of the nave and the mechanism is in the tower. They
are connected by a rod running under the rafters. The clock was the gift
of Major Henry Smyth and his wife Elizabeth.
Before the restoration, there was, in the north
aisle, a small window in place of the present two light window. On its
being removed, it became clear that there had been a Norman door
there. A number of stones of zig-zag moulding and more or less
corresponding to those in the chancel arch were found in the wall. These
stones when set out make up almost the complete arch of the doorway.
They are preserved in the chapel window and in the former Rectory
The church interior continued to develop and a pipe
organ was installed in 1893 (£156 8s 6d.) This sum included the re-roofing
of the chapel with its moulded principals, purlins and ridge piece. The
roof had to be raised to make room for the organ pipes.
In 1906 the East window of the chancel was replaced
by the stained glass memorial to the Rev John McKaye, Rector of St.
Mary's 1885 - 1905.
Later, other stained glass windows were added as
memorials to Thomas Butt Miller and his wife Cicely both major
benefactors of the parish - and to the Rev Charles Wray, Rector of St.
Mary's 1912- 1927, remembered for the boys club which he founded and ran
in a hut down Rectory Lane.
The baptismal font, which has so far escaped
mention, has a bowl dating from 13th century and is thought
to be an inverted column base on a Roman capital. The triple shaft
replaced an earlier single shaft when it was reset in the 19th
century. The font cover, of wood with wrought ironwork decoration
and handle, was made by Mr Daniel Nash whose forge was close to the
church. (Where Blackwell's used to be - now new houses).
In 1981, after a rationalisation of Anglican places
of worship in Cricklade, St. Mary's was declared redundant. Happily, the
Catholic community in need of a more permanent base managed to secure
the lease for 100 years. The first Mass since the Reformation was
celebrated in St. Mary's on New Years Day 1984. We are very fond of our
new home and have not made any significant changes to its interior
except to remove the choir stalls and raise the floor in the chancel by
means of a wooden platform. Those wishing for a view of the church prior
to our tenure may like to peruse the album on display at the rear of the
church. There are some fine photographs taken by Mr Raymond Hutchings of
Any good history should have its ghosts or skeletons
from the past. There are two worth mentioning.
In the late 18th century the house beside
the churchyard gate was occupied by William Peare and his sister Mary.
William was convicted for robbing a stage coach and hanged in 1783.
Tradition has it that he was buried in an unmarked grave in St. Mary's
churchyard - at dead of night.
Not long afterwards, on the evening of 7th
May 1819 a man was murdered on the road between Purton and Purton Stoke.
Robert Watkins was convicted of the murder and hanged at Purton at what
became known as Watkins Comer. The victim was Stephen Rodway, a coal
merchant. He is buried in St Mary's churchyard, - this grave is clearly
marked by one of the largest headstones.
There is little to add regarding the churchyard.
There are two chest tombs which are listed ancient monuments. They date
from the 17th and 18th centuries.
Burials were discontinued in 1882 (except in existing
vaults and walled graves ). The last recorded burial in the churchyard
is that of Ellen Agnes daughter of the Rev Hugh Allan, she died in 1884
aged 27 years.
For such a small churchyard, there seems to have been
a remarkable number of burials. 900 are recorded between 1605 and 1840.
It would be wrong to assume a similar burial rate before the 17th
century, as between 1600 -1800 there was a population explosion, when
the population of England rose from 4M to 14M, - a 250% increase.
Nevertheless, I think we can reasonably calculate that between 2 and 3
thousand people have been buried in the churchyard over the years.
Finally, this tale has been one of continuous renewal
and repair, and so it is today. The north wall is suffering subsidence,
the tower needs repointing, the fabric of the roof of the north aisle is
being checked for decay and rot. Last year, we formed "The Friends
of St Mary's" to oversee its maintenance and to preserve this
lovely church into the third millennium. Thank you for your interest
today, perhaps some of you may like to consider extending your interest
by joining "The Friends" in their venture. Details are to be
found in the leaflets at the back of church.